 Off-Topic / Debate / 21334
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:56:08 GMT

   Yes. Protection. Why do you give an example of an unintended use of a gun? By that reasoning we should ban driving due to all of the auto related fatalities (far more BTW than deaths by handguns...)

Yes, autos do cause far more deaths than guns. However, they seem to have far more use too.

   By the same token, gun manufacturers aren’t thinking that, “hey we’re making these guns but somebody might steal one and use it to cause bodily harm on people.” The intended use is deterrent. Protection. Nobody wants to kill anyone. Just mind your own business and things will be fine.

“just mind your own business”. Please do so...and stop insiuating that you can stop something that you are unlikely to ever be a part of. (armed robbery/home invasion) by being armed. You have to have made up your mind beforehand as to what you are going to do, or be very fast on your feet, or you will end up as the “carried a gun and ended up dead” statistic block.

It is far more likely that you will end up with someone shooting themselves by accident than using your gun to defend your property- and as for the argument that “we need guns to ensure the safety of the constitution”- I’d suggest you plink against a M1A1 for a hour or two with your .30 or .50 rifle, and see how far it takes you. Then think how long the 120mm will take to make you into plasma.

   History is great, but know that it’s history and times change. Symbols of freedom are great, but then we’re elevating the gun to a symbol. This is rhetoric that fails to take in account the evolution of society. Now freedom is covered by law, not by the gun, therefore the gun is not needed. The idea that the ruling power can take away your freedom is also irrelevant--they could take away your freedom whether you have a gun or not.

You are hopelessly naive and simply a clueless idealist.

I would agree that they are mere symbolism. You and what army are going to defeat the US government?

   Once again, Dave, reality is that guns will never go away! That is reality. Deal.

Is it? Reality is that in countries that don’t share a border with the US, inpounding semi auto and automatic weapons mean that they are uncommon. IIRC, the british were worried because they had 120 murders with guns last year. How many did the US have?

James