 Off-Topic / Debate / 21318
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:38:22 GMT

   What it does do is reduce the number of fatalities/injuries from bullets.

Lots of things can kill you -- like automobiles for example. We keep dangerous things around because they are useful -- like automobiles for example. People can be taught to use dangerous yet useful things without harm to anyone, or at least with greatly reduced risk to others -- like automobiles for example.

How is a gun any different?

You might argue that the apparent utility of the gun does not compensate sufficiently for it’s supposed danger to others -- but that’s about all you can say about it. We would rate it’s utility differently -- and that is the crux of the disagreement. You cannot imagine a use for a gun that outweighs its risk to others. I believe that the mere presence of guns in the hands of the many keeps fascism and totalitarianism at bay, while at the same time protecting people in their homes.

Freed slaves learned quickly that freemen beared arms. While it is said that many slaves lived good lives as slaves, let’s not forget that putting a slave to the whip or selling off his/her loved ones was not an uncommon practice. How could such a thing happen? Because we allowed the existence of a class of persons for whom civil liberties did not exist. When they were freed, they learned that they sometimes had to back up their newfound freedoms with exclamation point provided by a gun or rifle.

And Kooties, aren’t you the one to so readily see the madness of the current infection residing in the White House? Why should I be keen to give up my last security measure against tyranny? The pendulum has swung a little too favorably in the direction of the politically elite for me to be comfortable giving up my guns at this time.

I understand your arguments about guns, and I am not without sympathy. Sadly we live in a world where guns mean freedom -- the last hope of preventing political enslavement.

Why don’t you go tell the Iraqis to drop their weapons. Without guns, the U.S. too would be ripe for the plucking. Really, it’s as simple as that.

Might doesn’t make right, but an equalizer levels the playing field. Even a guy with nuke in his briefcase can be killed with one bullet to the head.

-- Hop-Frog