 Off-Topic / Debate / 21245
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 00:02:47 GMT

snip

   Just because they make a new law doesn’t mean it is constitutional.

Ok, that is a good point. However, the constitution has been added ammendments in the past, including at least one that revoked another. As such, the constitution is also subject to circumvention - I certainly wouldn’t trust it blindly!

The constitution was meant to be a document describing the specific powers and limits of the government. How does that involve “trusting it blindly”?

snip

   No, it is a matter of public record, read the paper sometime. The police virtually never prevent a crime they simply investigate and arrest the perpatrator after the fact.

(FTR, I read at least 5 papers from different places every day - please understand that I cannot read the “local” section of all :-)

You are of course correct in your claim: the police can only act when faced with a crime already commited (or being attempted, in some lucky cases). What you are leaving out of the equation is that some crimes are irreversible (ie, murder) and others are conveniently preventive (illegal gun ownership, DUI, etc). The latter isn’t in itself anything wrong, but provide means to avoid the irreversible kind. It’s not perfect as a system, but works better than anything else I’m aware of...

Well actually most of the crimes that actually are prevented in the US are done so by armed citizens. So imposing gun control on law abiding citizens, would be like hacking off ones left arm to save ones right little finger. (Criminals are going to have guns regardless.) It is already easier for people to purchase guns on the Black Market than it is to purchase them legally.

snip

They have a right to live where ever they want, but I belive it is their responsiblity to provide for their well being, not the government’s.

Unless of course those 300 people, by the mere fact of living there, grant the country some thousands of square miles worth of seazone, that benefits the entire national fishing fleet :-) No community lives isolated, so it’s probably better to take care of each other...

Well if that is the case, shouldn’t they be making enough money to cover it anyway?

(The island I was referring to is Corvo Is, in the Azores Archipelago, if you’re curious)

snip

   A few dozen cases a year out of over 280 million isn’t exactly a “population” I am ignoring. It is as I said cases of abuse or the odd nut-ball who imposes it on himself.

“A few dozen cases”. Is that how the statisticians refer to that “non-population”, or your description of what’s happening? I’m sure you won’t be surprised to know that across the pond we get a different picture...

You get ‘pictures’ of lots of people starving in the US?

snip

   It means that the idea that poor people are starving is completly untrue in the US. In the US being poor means you can’t afford a DVD player to go with your TV.

I did not say anyone was starving -

Isn’t that what we were talking about?

   I implied that you can save money by eating junk food, and let yourself gain weight and cholesterol over time, shortening your lifespan. Will I get lucky by crossing the data between average income and risk of death by heart disease? Hmmm...

snip

   Well one can always hope they will spontaneously reinstate the constitution as our basis of government and stop trying run everyone’s life for them.

Huh-hum. You do realize that such thing would make the USA a “constitutiocracy”, that would differ fronm a theocracy only in the nature of the sacred text... Having said that, I’d like to point out that the US constitution hasn’t got any fundamental defect in my POV, but you seem to take it as a sacred text which it was not intended to be by those who wrote it!

Huh? Believeing the Government should stop trying to run people’s lives and operate within the power limits of the constitution is believing in a “sacred text”?

-Mike Petrucelli