 Off-Topic / Debate / 21222
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:09:36 GMT

And Canada has free health care for everyone.

Even though its quality while still excellent on a global average is now
proportionately less than it was prior to becoming free for everyone.

gee, that'd be strange.  Statistics from pre CHA:

In 1951 the average life expectancy for a male was 66.5 years and 71 years for a
female.

From relatively recently:

(1991). Life Expectancy at Birth; 74.0 years male, 80.6 years female

So, by use of statistics, it can be easly seen that life expectancy in Canada
has increased overall during the period of universal healthcare.

(and yes, I do understand that there are a whole wack of other factors
invovled...but just to use some stats, they don't show a decline since public
healthcare was introduced...)

What do you base this assertion on?
(Really, I'm curious about it)

10-12 years ago Canadian medical services and eqipment was equal or greater
than that of the US. Today they are a decade behind.  Seriously, when has any
government actually improved something by taking it over? Besides its not even
free, Canadians are paying for it through taxes. The only differnce is that
the cost is deferred over everyone instead of those actually using the
services. I still don't see how that is considered 'fair'.

um, when do you think that we introduced public healthcare?

Better check your facts, we have always been "behind" the US for the more
advanced treatments, but at least you don't have to bankrupt yourself to pay for
it (or die, if you don't have the money)

James Powell