 Off-Topic / Debate / 2084
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 04:50:10 GMT

   Just wondered if anybody was reading the little philosophy subthread that
David and I have been slowly working on.  Still, I find it useless to debate
religion (on a hypothetical level of course), and friends really shouldn't.
And, yes, there are tons of funny god and religion jokes.  And, yes, I read
anything about religion or god as fiction, although I can not prove that it
is.  Like the evening news, I sometimes find it interesting or entertaining
or (more often than not) saddening, but I never take it to be 100% literal
truth.  Know what I mean?  All that stuff is in the hearsay department while
science is not.  And, it took me a very long time to personally accept
science for what it is.  And all those history classes fall into hearsay,
too.  They were fairly interesting, much more than endless debate about
religion.  My mind is open, although I take it all as a grain of salt.

--
   Have fun!
   John
John Neal wrote in message <37D5B9D7.CB18F14C@uswest.net>...

John DiRienzo wrote:

   Since I know that religion is fiction, I find it very hard to debate • it
logically, and very pointless to debate it hypothetically.  I believe the
purpose of religion and the concept of god is simply so people can make • good
jokes.  Some people enjoy their deluded debates, but I find those funny, • at
times, too.

!!??  What a surprisingly ignorant thing to have heard you say John!  How • do
you "know" religion is fiction?  Do you have proof?  Evidence?  I'd say • that
coming from one who holds up the scientific method so earnestly, it sounds
rather hypocritical.
And are you serious about the God and jokes thing?  What is funny is to • read
the smugness and condescension in your tone with no apparent reason!  Open • the
mind a little.

-John