 Off-Topic / Debate / 20789
WMD: Yes or No?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 17:46:35 GMT

"Nicholas Kristof: Why truth matters"
http://cnn.usnews.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&expire=-1&urlID=6204917&fb=Y&partnerID=2004

When I raised the Mystery of the Missing W.M.D. recently, hawks fired
barrages of reproachful e-mail at me. The gist was: "You ****! Who cares if
we never find weapons of mass destruction, because we've liberated the Iraqi
people from a murderous tyrant."

-------------------------

"US: 'Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction'"
http://www.sundayherald.com/print33628

The Bush administration has admitted that Saddam Hussein probably had no
weapons of mass destruction.

Senior officials in the Bush administration have admitted that they would be
'amazed' if weapons of mass destruction (WMD) were found in Iraq.

[snip]

This represents a clearly dramatic shift in the definition of the Bush
doctrine's central tenet -- the pre-emptive strike. Previously, according to
Washington, a pre-emptive war could be waged against a hostile country with
WMDs in order to protect American security.

Now, however, according to the US official, pre-emptive action is justified
against a nation which simply has the ability to develop unconventional weapons.

-- Hop-Frog