 Off-Topic / Debate / 20776
Re: The economic benefits of Porn ‘n’ Pot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 02:31:47 GMT

Moral issues aside, this makes interesting reading:

With pot and porn outstripping corn, America's black economy is flying high
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,947692,00.html
==+==
Marijuana, pornography and illegal labour have created a hidden market in
the United States which now accounts for as much as 10% of the American
economy, according to a study. As a cash crop, marijuana is believed to have
outstripped maize, and hardcore porn revenue is equal to Hollywood's
domestic box office takings.
==+==

We live in interesting times.

Scott A

Seriously, why isn't this stuff legal?  Forget the moral issues--what is the
downside to legalizing pot?  And isn't porn already legal?  Can't I walk
into AOV and buy por nmovies/magazines?

I would love to hear a debate on legalizing prostitution take place without
morals cropping up.  Same with pot--if smoking/booze is legal, why not pot?
Saying then why don't we legalize heroine/cocaine...  well, why not?  Is an
alcoholic just as addicted to booze as a junkie?  And if it's legal it can
be *regulated*.

Anyway, stuff thrown out there.

Dave K

The reason you won't hear a debate about porn and prostitution without
morals cropping up is that that is the ONLY argument against these issues.
The worst thing the US Supreme Court ever did to free speech was to define
obscenity as community standard, it should have never been defined at all.

-Orion