 Off-Topic / Debate / 20720
20719  |  20721
Subject:
Census help needed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 08:40:24 GMT

Where should I be looking for recent information concerning the number of
working adults?

Reason? The alarming statistic cited here:

"Jobless and Hopeless, Many Quit the Labor Force"
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/national/27JOBS.html

Salient portion:
More than 74.5 million adults were considered outside of the labor force
last month, up more than 4 million since March 2001, the Department of Labor
says. They are people who fall outside the government's definitions of
either employed or unemployed: they do not hold jobs, but they also have not
gone out seeking work within the past month.

This group includes retirees and parents who have been home taking care of
their children for years, but the surge of dropouts suggests that the
jobless rate — which was 5.8 percent last month, roughly where it has been
for the past year — offers an artificially sanguine picture of the labor
market, many economists say.

My problem is one of trying to understand the meaning of something like 50%
of adult americans not working.  How normal is that?  Or should I ask: how
worrying?  I guess I can remember a time when that might have been
completely normal -- say back in the time of Ozzie and Harriet...

-- Hop-Frog