 Off-Topic / Debate / 20640
Re: How Will We Ever Wash the Stink of GWB Jr. Off?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:01:16 GMT

"Children held at Guantanamo Bay"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4653978,00.html

Children younger than 16 are being held as "enemy combatants" in the
American detention camp at Guantanamo Bay, the US military admitted
yesterday, a practice human rights groups condemned as repugnant and illegal.

Three boys aged between 13 and 15 are among about 660 inmates at the
controversial camp, a US military official told the Guardian, on condition
of anonymity. The official would not disclose their nationalities but said
they had been brought from Afghanistan this year on suspicion of terrorism.

...they'll be 18 soon enough.

On a related note: As I understand it, the USA is one of only a handful of
countries to execute juvenile offenders in the last decade. The others are:
Congo, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia Nigeria and Yemen. And yes, the USA does
execute more than anyone else.

Scott A