 Off-Topic / Debate / 20599
  Re: Free Speech, again

(...) Note that the cited article doesn't say what exactly the original suit is about, exactly. If Nike was lying about conditions in factories, there may well be grounds for a libel suit there if you can just find the party libeled. Or a fraudulent (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free Speech, again

(...) As I understand the suit, it was asserting that Nike was lying and thus the claim of "false advertising". Clearly this is central to the issue. If they are indeed stating a falsehood and not simply an opinion, then they should be slammed. If (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free Speech, again

(...) But I don't accept that a corporation has an opinion, nor can any executive of that company have a pure opinion regarding the company. Everything, in effect, must be taken as an effort to serve the bottom line, since that's the whole purpose (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Free Speech, again

(...) Suppose you were right... So what? This case isn't about free speech the way I read it. It's about false advertising. If it would be wrong for you as a person to deny you owned a sweatshop when actually you did, it owuld be wrong for Nike to (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)