 Off-Topic / Debate / 20561
    Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community —Dave Schuler
   (...) But the crux of my question: "what if there isn't a reason behind the universe?" I'm not, at this point, saying conclusively whether there is or isn't one; I'm asking what would be the impact to you if there weren't a reason. Here's another (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community —John Neal
   (...) Sorry to be a buttinski here, but I just thought of something. What about the odds angle? Sometimes coincidences are too great; that is, that the odds of something happening a certain way are way beyond normal expectation. Say, for instance, (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) Given the right conditions (and we are talking about an incomprehensibly high number of planets with varying conditions), it may well be that the odds against life happening somewhere are the longshots. Atoms and molecules like to form certain (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community —Dave Schuler
     (...) Hey, all are welcome! (...) Bruce addressed this already, but I thought I'd throw in my view as well. The first is the problem of precedent: when you estimate the odds of a bus accident, you can base it on known occurrences under similar (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community —Thomas Stangl
   (...) I suppose they can suggest it to those predisposed to believing in a Greater Being, yes. But when you consider the # of stars in just our galaxy, and the # of planets that they can have (we find more and more every year, and as our technology (...) (21 years ago, 23-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)