 Off-Topic / Debate / 20527
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:13:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matt Hein writes:

After they've been brainwashed since they first could understand words, you
mean, by being forced to attend church up til then? We chose not to do that
to our children. They can decide for themselves once they're old enough but
for now we are not forcing them to attend any church.

Then what would these children do, should they not
be forced into church? Hang around at home with a
babysitter? Sounds kind of anti-social to me.

What is it with you and being social?  :^P

I wouldn't throw it to  brainwashing, since constant
preaching 'you will believe' would just scare the
kids off and product the reciprocal effect. You think
I believe in god because I was brainwashed? Perhaps
some of my friends have veered off to that side, but my
beliefs stem from the reading of the scriptures and
countless pondering on my part.

Also, you say "legitimate, thought provoking and/or sensible" reason. What's
the metric for that? Would it be sufficient to say "I simply don't choose to
accept the tenets of christianity" or would the child have to present a
proof for the non decidability the question of the existance of god, or what?

Whatever. I think a kid should deliver a response that
speaks to the heart, to show what they truely believe in.
No, how can you deliver proof to gods (non)existence
when finding such proof is theoreticaly impossible?
If their statement gives the parent reason to think and
consider, I think that serves well enough.

There is plenty of stuff to prove the bible wrong.  They're called fossils
and really old rocks.

-Stefan-