 Off-Topic / Debate / 20492
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:11:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes:

Sports?  Playing with friends?  Name the social activity you want, it's
there for your kids to do during church time for you.

Dang, you're burning the midnight oil, Terry.

Matt, do you really think that if you were born in India form Hinouist
parents, you'd be a christian today?  Oh, of course, there are exceptions,
but in 99% of all cases, you'd be Hindu and fighting for your beliefs
against Christians point of view.

POVwise, I think it's a noble prospect to hold
belief in such a religion. In fact, I have nothing
against hinduists, buddhists or whatever the religion
may be, so long as it involves religious activities
of some sort which are productive.

So yes, it is brainwashing.  I was too brainwashed as a kid.  I was a
believer.  I stopped believing on my own at the late age of 19, although
both my parents, my best friend at the time and almost everyone I knew were
christians.  I know for a fact that the reason I believed in god when I was
younger is because I was brainwashed, and I'm thankful that I had the
strenght to fight it later in life.  It was a choice i made that i've never
regretted or questionned.  But then again, it always sounded so untrue to >me...

Wow, what a touching story, Terry.

As said in an earlier post, it's all in a case by case basis...

Nope it doesn't.  Religion, unfortunately, is a powerful anti-development
force for kids.  It gives them values and rules to follow that makes the
child doubt of his or her own true nature.  Religion tells children, for
example, that sex before marriage is bad.  What do you think the little girl
that masturbates thinks of herself after hearing that?

Does that count at intercourse, though? Seriously, does
it? Again, the whole interpretation factor falls into
play here. Take it as you will.

This is a real story.  I had a frind that lived this situation.  Everybody
masturbates, it's a natural thing to do to discover your body.  Christian
religion just denies that need, that urge.  Oh, it may not be a bullet-proof
example, I'm sure you'll find a way of explaining to me I'm wrong, but it's
still the reality my friend lived as a teen christian girl whosuffered from
unjustified guilt because of religion.

Interpretation...again. Some people have too many embroiled
feelings...they need to get a breath of fresh air.

I might be insensitive, but that's the fact. Sometimes,
you just dawn on things, and that's the story. Get over
it, continue on with life. That's my policy. If you're
knocked to the ground, you pick yourself up, brush off
the dirt and walk with dignity.

[with DeNiro's voice in Taxi Driver]
Are you talkin' to me?

Yep...

I think he is referring to my website...
http://www.rotule.qc.ca/posters/

I'll have to check it out.

I may be wrong, it's just speculation.  Anyway, it's so
kind of you not to hate anyone but me...

Nah...I don't hate you, but I harbor a disliking
to your opinion. It's a free country though...

Outside of debating the whole god argument, I'm
not going to take this into consideration. Go
ahead and post something...I'll probably give an
uninfluenced from debate reply.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y

I'm getting tired ot debating this, though...

What would you say to a truce or something?
Seriously, though...I don't have infinite time
on my hands to post and repost.