 Off-Topic / Debate / 20477
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:34:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
<snip>
'Boondock Saints' sums it up pretty good. "Do not rape, do not murder, do not
steal, these are rules by which men of all religions can follow."

-Mike Petrucelli

Amen to that!

As for your questions still unanswered, like lightning and evolution...

100 years ago, Men didn't understand the first thing about many things that
we can now explain very solidly with science.  So give the scientists
another few hundred years and all these questions will be answered.

The fact that we do not understand a phenomenon doesn't prove God is behing
it.  The Catholic religion had a great answer to these questions : "The
paths of God aren't meant to be understood from men"[1]  I don't understand
many scientific knowledge, like Quantum physics and suchs, but it doesn't
mean it's God that created it, it's just that I personnally don't get it,
like 99.999% of humanity.  Some facts get the 100%.  Someday, they won't
anymore.

As for the human stupidity, It's all true.  Religion helped a lot to prevent
humanity from dismembering itself.  But that was absolutely necessary
thousands of years ago, hundreds or years ago, maybe decades ago, but it's
not anymore.  Religion has done it's time.  I am not the biggest science
fanatic, too many theories still shakey, so I don't even believe everything
they say because it might change soon, like the fact that they recently
discovered that the universe is not loosing speed, but accelerating!  They
are absolutely clueless to explain it, so I'll wait a couple of decades
before believing anything related to that so they don't discover that they
made a terrible mistake somewhere.  Some Human have been incredibly powerful
and wise.  Jesus almost certainly existed, but you know how the telephone
game does?  You say something, the other repeats it with a tiny little
difference, it goes on like that for generations, then some 300-400 years
later, the first book on Jesus is written by a monk in a cathedral somewhere
in Italy.  Jesus resurected?  Maybe he was in coma, woke up 3 hours laters,
spoke a word or two, died in Mary's arms.  Take a story like that for a man
with such a reputation, make it travel for hundreds of years and tel me what
it sounds like after!

It's the same for Greek Mythos.  Who, here today, believes in this religion,
dead for centuries?  It will be the same for Christiannity in hundreds of
years.  It's called evolution.  We passed from lesser gods for every tribe,
to many gods for many regions or empires, to One mighty God for a dozen
different major religions in the world, to none eventually.  But it's most
understandable that people are afraid to listen to arguments like that,
because it would then open a door in the stronghold that is their faith.
And an open door is all it takes.

I was a believer when I was young.  I understand the fear of letting go of
God's protecting arms.  But I felt so liberated and so much more in love
with humanity after I stopped believing!  And everyday, I just thank god he
doesn't exist for real!  :-)

Terry

1-Actually, this sentence is translated from the French and it's poorly
translated, but you get the idea :-)