 Off-Topic / Debate / 20434
Re: "End of History" author: Withdraw US troops from Saudi Arabia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:09:09 GMT

Francis Fukayama argues that now is the time to close our Saudi bases:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110003377

His thesis includes the notion that doing so now would not be perceived as a
retreat, unlike if we wait a while, when there will be more unrest.

Coupled with the currently active talk of moving many of our European troops
out of Germany and somewhat eastward, this is a good week for Jeffersonians
who'd like to see less in the way of entangling alliances.

There is also talk of moving the (37,000, IIRC) US troops in South Korea
somewhat southward of Seoul... Why stop there? Go all the way... bring them
home completely!

I'd approve of that, except
1-I'm a bad apple  ;-)
2-I'm not American :-O

Do I have the right of an opinion even so Lar?  :-)  I'm joking of course !

US troops are still in Germany?  I read somewhere that at any moment, there
is at least 1M soldiers away from US territory.  That's a lot of people!  It
must cost a fortune!

Terry