 Off-Topic / Debate / 2032
Re: Libertarianism again.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:43:00 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote
Much easier than sterilization is merely to stop using taxes that way.

You and me agree on that. I'd like to see all countries stop subsidising
big business, especially the USA which seems to be much more attached
to the idea than anyone else. But you seem to have the USA thing of
wanting to actively destroy community with it. What is so bad about
people caring for their fellows? Why is money the only acceptable
measure of worth?

I mean, you and Mike both seem to think that there is no way an honest
effort can fail, and that poverty is a deliberate, informed choice
made in a free market. I'd like an answer to my question about
structural unemployment, for example. Do you simply not have one, or is
the question so stupid it doesn't deserve an answer?

It also has the advantage of not violating anyone's rights, unlike
sterilization which is totally unacceptable.

Which rights would those be, Larry? The right to life, liberty and the
pursuit of happiness? Or the more basic right to a free and equitable
society? The strawman argument is IMO fair and reasonable, since being
in that category is a free choice, and this simply adds to the cost of
making that choice. Why is it worse than taxes?

Moz