 Off-Topic / Debate / 20303
20302  |  20304
Subject:
The Smell of Napalm in the Morning (was Re: Horrifying stories from Iraq)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:26:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
And here's another, not so wonderful, side effect
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/12/sprj.irq.int.baghdad.museum.reut/index.html

And even more not so wonderful, side effects:

"Powell deals Syria new warning"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/ticker/ticker.rhs.stm

[Edit: Powell said,] "We have designated Syria for years as a state that
sponsors terrorism, and we have discussed this with the Syrians on many
occasions."

'Smoking gun' may not affect world's opinion
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0409/p01s03-woiq.html

Why change regime?

Among Americans who approve of the war in Iraq, disarmament is listed by 86
percent as a 'major' reason to oust Saddam Hussein. But high percentages
also see other reasons as major:

Reason/Percent
Disarmament of Iraq 86      [edit: of what?]
Iraq's ties to groups like Al Qaeda 80    [edit: come again?]
Regime change 79    [edit: why?]
Liberation of Iraq 74     [edit: why us?]
Iraq poses an imminent threat to U.S. interests 72    [edit: oil?]
Iraq poses a threat to US-friendly Arab nations 66    [edit: more specifics
please]
Iraq poses a threat to Israel 55     [edit: and this is our problem why?]

"US troops' anguish: Killing outmatched foes"
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0411/p03s01-woiq.html

"So lethal was the past week's barrage of artillery - using rockets and
missiles designed to demolish everything within a "grid square" (one square
kilometer) - that it left Lt. John Harrell of the 3rd Infantry Division's
1-39 Artillery Battalion with virtually nothing else to attack."

"But before that, officers stress, the soldiers must have time to
decompress. 'The reality is, we've got a bunch of steely-eyed killers that
have destroyed all the enemy forces they've come into contact with,' worries
Radcliffe. 'The switch is on right now, and you can't just turn it off.'"

[edit: Great!  Send them to D.C. where they can continue to "do some good."]

I ask you: where is god in all of this evil?  Hey, it's Sunday -- you have
nothing better to think about, right?

-- Hop-Frog