 Off-Topic / Debate / 19823
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 01:55:39 GMT

You seem to be confusing between choosing from what's available, with having
a right to choose from what's available, with somehow expecting that you
should be offered whatever happens to suit your fancy.
So, yes, I can argue it.

Sorry if I haven't been clear. I don't have any expectation that the market
will provide me whatever I fancy, in this market or any other. What my
expectation is, though, is that for it to be a free market, there cannot be
unreasonable coercive barriers to entry. I argue that the "market for
governments" has unreasonable coercive barriers to entry.

Just as the cable TV market does in many parts of the US, for example, since
that was cited as an example.

There's an aw'fly high barrier to entry to starting one's own government,
after all, as long as we're confined to this one particular location. ALL
the territory is already under control, and most governments don't take
kindly to suggestions that they hive off a bit so some other org can try
their hand at it.

I'm not sure what your point is.  Do you mean that no matter where you go
someone was there first, so you are stuck making some "contract" you don't
like?  There are countries without taxes and have low populations - just go
inundate them with Libertarians and take over.

Does it have to be the *entire* country? Or do you support the notion that
any collection of landowners can decide to secede? Is that allowed, or no?