 Off-Topic / Debate / 19733
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:02:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

So, let me get this straight-- you assert that the obliteration of Washington
D.C. with a nuclear bomb wouldn't end our society as we know it.  Are you
daft???

No that would not end our society as we know it. It would go a long way toward
restoring the government though.

As Rodney might say, "tough crowd"-- it's almost as if people think the idea
isn't all half bad:-)

At the very least we should try to go back to
the pre-FDR days. Ask your grandparents about how the elected representatives
used to have real jobs and only went to D.C. when there was actually something
to do. (As opposed to now where they inadvertently create most of the social
problems they claim to be trying to fix.) See the funny thing about a
Representative Republic is that we do not rely on our government (or at least
we are not supposed to) it is there to serve the people. (not the other way
around)

I see your point, but even if we were able to go back, it would certainly have
a profound effect upon society *as we know it*.

But how would we logistically accomplish that, or anything?  All of our leaders
are dead-- the highest ranking leaders left in the country are now state
governers.  Who leads us?  How do we choose?  Who decides how we choose?  Our
leader could well end up being the highest ranking military officer.  Now
suddenly we have a military dictatorship for a government.  Of course the
markets would go into the tank BIG TIME, and it would all snowball downhill
from there.  Our economy would be in ruins.  And when do you suppose the rest
of the world would choose to do any business they'd like to do if they were
certain the US wouldn't intervene?  China grabs Taiwan?  Arabs overpower
Israel?  Monaco annexes France...;-)

And with all of this going on, do you suppose that we'd be more than slightly
*PO'd*????  I'd say there'd be a few changes to our society...

These calm measured responses remind me of Dukakis' reply to Bernard Shaw's
infamous question: "Governor, if Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered, would
you favor an irrevocable death penalty for the killer?" :-)

JOHN