 Off-Topic / Debate / 19188
19187  |  19189
Subject:
no D-Day in '44? [was Re: Not in my name!]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:16:40 GMT

I don't always agree with Churchill, who supposedly once said "if
Hitler invaded hell, I would find something favorable to say about the
devil"... I very well might have left the USSR to its own devices during WW II.

Churchill did say that the USSR "tore the guts out of the Nazi war machine".
The  USSR lost ~25-30,000,000 in WW2 [the USA lost ~140k in Europe]. Without
the USSR, D-Day would never have happened in '44 as Germany would have had its
best divisions on the “Atlantic Wall” [rather than kids & old men alongside
Czech & Polish conscripts]. With no D-Day in '44, Berlin would have been
subjected to a nuclear attack in '45.

Scott A