 Off-Topic / Debate / 19174
19173  |  19175
Subject:
Debunking "Arming America"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:37:15 GMT

I seem to recall that we may have had some discussion here on the book
"Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture" by Michael
Bellesiles although I could not find a relevant post.

At any rate it puts forth the thesis that "guns were scarce in early America
and Americans were uninterested in owning them" and was widely acclaimed.

This article in Reason debunks it...

http://www.reason.com/0303/fe.jm.disarming.shtml

Tying this in to my comments about the media and their credulousness,
especially if it's convenient:

"The news media also play a key role. The New York Times and many other news
outlets heralded 'Arming America', while their bias in favor of gun control
has led them to ignore scholarly books uncongenial to the cause. In this
instance most of the press ignored, or dismissed as politically motivated,
growing skepticism about Bellesiles’ evidence"

Repeat that last bit and think about it...