 Off-Topic / Debate / 19025
  Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)

(...) Wicked, yes, probably; good? arguable I suppose; just? Hmm.. hard to say. I think I would call it just. (...) Well-- here's an issue, obviously. If you could create humans who didn't have an innate desire for control, then sure, the system (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)

(...) Or they have to recognize their desires as destructive and seek to curb them. (...) I agree, but I don't see why stewardship rather than ownership necessarily decreases your ability to enjoy privacy. (...) You are in effect saying that the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)

(...) Hm. I guess I have to question how different is this stewardship you're envisioning versus ownership? What does ownership entitle you to that stewardship doesn't; given that in our current system, the government can confiscate your land if it (...) (21 years ago, 15-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The nature of property (was: Idiots, Part Deux)

I think that even with the rules of real estate essentially intact, if we called it and understood it as stewardship rather than ownership it would change the way we think about land-resources. For the better. But I think that several positive (...) (21 years ago, 15-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)