 Off-Topic / Debate / 1897
1896  |  1898
Subject:
What Americans think of Europeans (was Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:42:53 GMT

Simon Robinson wrote:

Perhaps someone should follow up with a 'What Americans think of
Europeans' thread....

Well, I for one, am glad that you are there.

First, you maintain some very nice tourist spots for us.  That might be
the most important role that Europe plays.  I know that sounds trite,
but what I really mean is...the way the US works (and needs to work) is
that we want everyone else in the world to be a good customer.  You can
produce some stuff and we'll buy it if it's good - and that's great -
but we need you to buy our stuff.

Second, you provide us with a counter-system so that we can continue to
use the good ideas you have on how to run your business, and we can stay
away from the rest.  We continue to learn from you.

Third, I think we mostly don't consider Europe.  You guys are 'over
there' and you can do what you want with your money and we'll do what we
want with out money and I can imagine why you'd care for a second what I
thought about your spending/taxation policy.  I don't have enough time
to stay aware of the stuff the US does wrong, how could I possibly stay
educated about what each little postage stamp nation is Europe is doing wrong?

And how could we really dislike you anyway?  What would we be if you
hadn't ostracized all of your most productive and thinking people and
sent them away?  The US owes it's existence to Europe and that's why
when push comes to shove we're willing to do things like turn our entire
economy into a machine designed to save England from Germany (oh yeah,
and kill Nips).

My $.02 anyway,

Chris