 Off-Topic / Debate / 18842
Re: Poverty myths?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:19:37 GMT

Canada is said to have a 1.8 birth rate.  Since it takes, on the average, 2
kids--one make, one female--to maintain the population, 1.8 is reducing our
population.  But we make up for the numbers with immigration.  We have,
though, been sititng at 30ish million folks for a while.  Is that a good
thing?  Again, I dunno.

There are two other indicators that can be of help here: the "age pyramid"
(dividing the population in classes of 5 years), and the "Active-to-passive"
ratio. This last one takes into account the contribute of the immigrants to
the society, since it states how many dependants are supported by a working
person.
As a single child, I find that ratio of the utmost importance: now I have
two people supporting me, but in 30 years it will be the other way around -
and then I may even have kids myself.
(It's a poisoned gift, being a single child - I took 20 years to find that out)

In any case, like you say, it's a tough one. If "happiness" were measurable,
that would be the perfect indicator to the overall health of a society.

Pedro