 Off-Topic / Debate / 18625
18624  |  18626
Subject:
Now whereabouts on the axis of evil can we be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:09:43 GMT

I read this over lunch:

"Now whereabouts on the axis of evil can we be? The country's long-reigning
leader thinks the president of the US is contemptible, a sentiment heartily
reciprocated. The leader's official spokeswoman directly insulted Bush, and she
was repudiated only grudgingly. Almost every day some new outrage perpetrated
by the US is reported in the newspapers, whereupon the Americans are denounced
by commentators and letter-writers. Academics travelling across the country on
book promotion tours say they are astounded by the level of anti-American
vituperation out in the hinterland. Top-level relations with Washington, it is
agreed, are at their worst level in decades. Can this mean war?"

All is revealed here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,860663,00.html

I thought a couple of bits over-egged things a little, but it is still quite a
good read.

Scott A