 Off-Topic / Debate / 18576
Re: IGNORANT views fuel oppression?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:22:35 GMT

I propose an OT-D Resolution 001--

In which all party(s) concerned, concurrently and without delay withdraw
from specifically discussing the Israel/Palestine issue for a term of at
least, but not limited to, one (1) month.

This resolution is proposed for the following reasons:

- This debate has caused much contention and flaming anytime it 'reared its
uglay head'.

Lots of 'em do. But certain people are just gonna get angry at others
regardless of the debate topic. And I don't think waiting a month would help
much...

- This debate does not seem to settle on any solution which satisfies any or
all party(s) involved in the debate.

- this debate has been ongoing for a long time with no end in sight.

I don't really think the point of a debate thread is necessarily to reach a
mutual solution... Probably about 95% of the debates in o-t-d just "stop"
because people forget about them or lose interest. I've only seen a few
reach the point where parties either end up agreeing or (more often)
agreeing to disagree. The fun for me lies in the thought process itself, and
the experience of debating. Not in the specific topical outcome. (IE the
outcome IS useful isofaras I come away with a better understanding of my own
perspective and others' perspectives, and increased experience/skill in
debating; but the specific point in question's resolution isn't as valueable
to me in general)

DaveE