 Off-Topic / Debate / 18508
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:02:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Brendan Powell Smith writes:
From post http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18491

Where the first tweaking began...

"
God Bless, (yes I believe in God, his son Jesus who died for my sins,
and the holy spirit.)

May Maury the Talking Kangaroo watch over you in the night!

-Rev. Smith

This was not intended as a harsh comment.  It's just that when someone says
"God bless" to me, and then specifies that the God who they are asking to
bless me is the God of Christianity, it has as much meaning to me as my
imploring Maury the Talking Kangaroo to watch over someone would have to a
Christian.

Why would you tell an atheist "God bless" if you know he doesn't believe in
God?  I don't mind in the least if you privately ask your God to bless me,
but when you end a message to an atheist with "God bless", it comes across
as "oh, and by the way, I'm right and you're wrong about what you believe".
It may not exactly be what was intended, but that's how it comes across.

  Just to clarify, read any post by me in .castle and see if you can find
one without God Bless on the end (OK there may be a few). I tagged the other
bit on to show where I would be coming from in this debate... Not to be
snide. Of all the people I've met most find 'God Bless' generic (in my case
it isn't), comforting, or if they are a proffesor type (not all) a slightly
amusing example of the innocents who believe in God. I have yet to meet
anyone deeply offended by it, I don't think you were? If you were sorry.

     Nathan (other posts coming soon. I should have been hear from the start
but I was at Thanksgiving... wait isn't that religious...)

        God Bless (I don't throw this around, I mean it. If God didn't exist
it couldn't hurt you and since he does, pardon my certinty, it has no
negative ramifications except those you yourself introduce (yourself being
general and not meaning anyone in particular).)

              Nathan