 Off-Topic / Debate / 18500
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:49:48 GMT

"The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith" wrote:
I feel that "Reverend" is a significantly different sort of title than
"Doctor".  Whereas "Doctor" informs others of a particular college degree
that the title-bearer has earned, and makes no value-statement about the
bearer, "Reverend" boldly proclaims that the title-bearer is or should be
revered by others.  Its use by ministers and priests strikes me as quite
pompous.  It's like a adding "the Great" to the end of your name.  And if
religious authority figures can be pompous, why can't I?  I have never
falsely described myself to anyone as a minister or priest, or any other
sort of position-holder in an organized religion, so I don't particularly
feel like I am seriously misrepresenting myself.

Besides, there's plenty of places you could mail off to and get all the
official documentation you need in the US to be a reverend and conduct
weddings... (This is one of the things which really highlights that the
religious definition of marriage should be separate from the civil
definition - in order to not discriminate against religion, the US can't
set standards for religious leaders).

I had a minister who sometimes called himself the IRev (irreverend)...

Frank