 Off-Topic / Debate / 18459
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 04:57:35 GMT

Believing that the God of the Hebrew Bible sent his son to Earth in the form
of a human male 2,000 years ago to "save" us from our sins sounds very much
like it is incompatible with other religions' theologies, and not at all
independent of them.

It is unique, and it has a unique message.

There are any number of self-contradictory assertions inherent in the
Christian faith with which one could take issue, but this is the big one that
needs to be exorcised whenever it's uttered.  The whole
God-incarnate-here-to-redeem-us theme is not at all distinct to Christian
mythology, and in fact occurred numerous times in history prior to Christ,
quite a few times contemporaneously, and a bunch of times since then.  To
assert that there is anything grand or divine or unique or special about the
alleged divinity, death, and alleged resurrection of Christ is simply to ignore
reality.
I can assemble a list of other divine incarnations if you'd like, but I don't
have all of the necessary citations in front of me, so it'll take a little
while.  In any case, it is futile to hang one's faith on claims of uniquely
manifested divinity.

I would like to see your cites.  Christianity offers a few unique twists.  One
which I believe is unique is the "fully human, fully divine" status of Jesus,
and his fulfillment of OT biblical prophesy.  I also am not aware of any
God-incarnate myths that came to forgive sins, or that came to earth *humbled*.

And since I used the active-indicative in my assertion, have you any cites of
*current* examples?

-John