 Off-Topic / Debate / 18436
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:50:37 GMT

It seems to me that everyone in our society today is so
careful about protecting the rights of groups these days ("Not that there is
anything wrong with that!"), but that it is okay somehow to slam Christians
and their religion.

The problem I have with this line of thinking is that everyone (here in the
US anyway) seems way too sensitive to these sorts of things.  I actually
disagree with your thinking that there is nothing wrong with our overly PC
approach to things.  Rather than say we should protect Christian's feelings
because we protect the feelings of Jews, Blacks, etc., I argue we should all
relax a bit and not take everything so darn seriously.  That was the point
of my joking post with God having a Beer.  *My* belief is that God knows how
not to take things too seriously.

I am *not* saying that I support slamming or insulting any group of people
based on race, or culture, or religion, etc.  I know how it feels to be
discrimated against (yes I do!), so I am *not* suggesting we all go
backwards 40 years and act like bigots again.  But, I *am* saying that
sometimes the desire to be politically correct goes too far.

When it is okay for a Christian to make jokes about Christianity but at the
same time not okay for a non-Christian to do so, that IMO is wrong.  I
believe that is reverse discrimination.  It is hypocrisy.  If the joke is
funny, it is funny, no matter who says it.

*Reverse discrimination is STILL discrimination!*

Even if you disagree with what I just wrote (as I am certain some of you
will for reason of taking things so seriously), then consider my following
argument in support of BPS work:

The Bible, first and foremost, is a book written by various semetic people
thousands of years ago.  The book discusses their experiences over many
generations.  It also discusses their religious beliefs and how such beliefs
were a part of their experiences.  Since it was written, it has been copied,
translated, published, distributed, and shared more than any other book in
western culture.  Regardless of whether the reader is Christian, Jew, or
otherwise, this book is now a shared part of the *human* experience.  That
means that *anyone* is free to read it and do with it as they wish.
Regardless of BPS's beliefs, he is perfectly free to read the Bible, develop
a Lego version of it (in any manner he choses), and present it to the world.

If his version does not match what you like, or if his injected humor is not
appreciated by you, then I argue that your condemning him is simply you
mocking *his* beliefs of the Bible.  Furthermore, as we say in .space, if
you don't like what you see for MOCs, *make your own*.  If you want a Brick
Bible that better represents *your* view of the book, then take BPS's work
as a challenge, go buy some bricks, build some models of scripture, and post
them!

I need to take a break from this thread before I continue.

Cheers,
-Hendo