 Off-Topic / Debate / 18401
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:36:19 GMT

And I believe that naive people need to be guided and not laughed at.  Who
here would point and snicker at someone who 'just got off the boat' into a
strange land where the rules and folks are unknown to him?  Who here, in a
similar situation, would appreciate a helping hand to guide him on his way,
instead of being ridiculed (albeit very tamely by you).  That's all--no
bigger than that.

Once, a long time ago, when my little sister was about 3 years old, she
exclaimed "Ow! My feelings!". We found it hilarious. Still do. Should we not?

I think the point is not to belittle those who are naive, while still being
able to find amusment in the situation. Heck, I laugh plenty enough at naive
mistakes *I* make, why shouldn't I be able to laugh at others'? Just so long
as it's understood that it's not *insulting* laughter. Difference between
'lauging with' and 'laughing at' I suppose. Personally, I took Larry's
snicker to be laughing at the situation, rather than an insult to Ronald.
And from his reply, it looks like that's the way Ronald felt as well.

DaveE

And b/w friends and family that's fully understood and there's no issues at
all!  My friends and myself have a huge 'banter' thing going on--any small
slip or gaffe in conversation generates lots of ridicule.  But that's
amongst friends--to have the same 'banteresque' manner with complete
strangers, who don't know you, is possibly not the best way of handling the
situation--stangers don't like being laughed at, even if it's a little sniker.

That's all I'm saying

Dave K