 Off-Topic / Debate / 18274
Re: The US gives too much/not enough aid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:39:37 GMT

<snip>

1)The USA was forced into the war - it had to have its "ass kicked" first.

Don't forget Lend Lease (did we ever get any of the lends back?)

2)The USA did not act alone, and could not have done.

True but irrelevant. What matters is who would have won if we hadn't
entered, and if you conclude the Allies would have (not a foregone
conclusion by any means), at what cost?

I'd argue the "true but irrelavant" charge.  Ignore Europe, stomp Japan with
all our resources (is anyone contesting we couldn't do it?) then deal with
Germany.  Japan only took so long because they were on the constant back-burner.

It's a silly argument anyway, since we would not have been involved if we
hadn't been propping up Britain and China as it was and had built in allies
who all helped and did their part.  Without us in the war the Axis certainly
has a better chance, especially if Japan polishes off China and then
back-stabs Russia.

3)The USA has benefited substantially from WW2.

Bingo.

How so? You're going to have a hard time proving that last one.

I think we suffered considerably less than the other participants rather
than we benefited from it.  Russia was the one that benefited the most.

Or more straightforwardly, would the world be a better place if N Korea had
taken over S Korea 50 years ago, or 20, or 10, or 5?

Would it be a better place if the USA had not supported Iraq, Israel, Pinochet
etc etc?

Ouch!  Truth.

True that those weren't the greatest decisions, but irrelevant. On balance
we're good guys who have repeatedly saved the world. You'll never get Scott
to admit it though, he's anti-american and not very good at admitting he's
wrong about things.

Ouch!  Truth!
:-)

-->Bruce<--