 Off-Topic / Debate / 18259
Re: "Slam! Down goes Fraser!" [?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:52:47 GMT

Personally, I feel obliged to help those in need. Personally, I feel proud that
the UK is taking international aid seriously. The wealth of western nations is
built on exploitation of the developing world and the destruction of the global
environmemt.

Slam!  Down goes Fraser!

You'll have to explain this colloquialism to me.

Scott A

Is much like if I say 'The Giants Win the Pennant!! The Giants win the
pennant!!" but more apt--is the line the announcer said when the finishing
blow in a famous boxing match was thrown--"Down goes Fraser!" = finishing
blow = nail in coffin = whatever other euphemism you care to choose to
denote "Wow, that was an absolute superb point--the other side is reeling
from that 'hit' and probably won't be able to get 'back up off the mat'."

The Ali quote continues the boxing motif, and is in reference to being the
'good guy' by *not* throwing a punch, even if you could, because the
opponent is reeling anyway--throwing the next punch is just vindictive.  Is
like if you throwing a life jacket to your sworn enemy--it separates the
'truly good guys' from the 'bad guys'.

Anyway, that's how I saw it.

Hope that clears it up.

Dave K.
-who will try to keep the boxing metaphors to a minimum.