 Off-Topic / Debate / 18228
Re: Vote against/for...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:22:52 GMT

John, "responsible" is not the word I would use - name me a country that
has a worse record with nuclear, biological and chemical weapons?

The former USSR.

Has it dropped "the bomb", has it used biological and chemical weapons the
way the USA has? I think not.

The USSR denotated plenty of nuclear bombs.

As did the USA, France and the UK. So why is the USSR worse than the USA?

I was thinking in terms of nuclear accidents-- part of the responsibility for
utilizing nuclear technology is controlling it.  And what of nuclear
waste?  Somehow I think the USSR didn't care as much for the environment as we
did in this regard.

Or did you mean killing people at
the same time?

You are being obtuse again.

Or maybe you are being imprecise.

Yeah, we dropped 2 nukes (tiny by today's standards), but
reluctantly. Had we a cache of bombs we would most certainly have provided a
little demonstration to the Japanese leaders of their fate if they didn't
surrender immediately-- unfortunately we had only 2.  And it is not as if we
didn't give them ample warning to avoid the attacks anyway.

All that's debateble. General Dwight D. Eisenhower:
"Japan was at the moment seeking some way to surrender with minimum loss of
'face'? It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

Well, "Japan" wasn't all of one mind-- some wanted to surrender and others
didn't.

But as long as we are talking about the USSR as some sort of twisted model
for the US to follow-- Stalin alone butchered more of his *own* citizens
than we ever did with nukes or the like combined.

That is ugly, but is not part of this debate.

I'm curious: why is dying from a nuclear bomb so much more objectionable than a
good old-fashioned mass execution?

BTW, in what way are you insinuating the US used bio and chem weapons?

lol Ever heard of "agent orange"?

Was he CIA or KGB?  Agent orange was not a chemical weapon per se, unless you
had a beef with a rubber tree.  It was a defoliant.

Who gave Iraq its WOMD? Whose anthrax was spread about the USA last year?

??  *We* never used anthrax on anyone.  If you are insinuating that the anthrax
was produced here but stolen or something, are you then going to blame us for
its release on us?  Got any blame left for the people who actually did the
releasing?

You go, spin doctor.  The cold war was a battle of idealogies-- Communism
vs Capitalism.  We won.

Not quite right, but does the means justify the end?

Why don't you ask that question of the Palestinian extremists?

I have. Answer my question.

You tire me with your vague assertions-- I thought you were being rhetoerical.
What means, what ends?

As far as Israel goes, that is your POV and not fact; we just see things
differently.

No john, it's a fact. You know. I know it. It's a fact.

Give me a break.  I know NO such thing; it's NOT fact, so just drop it.

Have I touched a nerve? Who pays for the bombs the IDF use to kill women and
children to hold land which does not belong to them in defiance of
international law? Is it you John? Is it?

No, but I doubled checked my last VISA statement just to make sure.

I simply haven't the time or inclination to go down this road with you again--
it is pointless.

-John