 Off-Topic / Debate / 18151
Re: Vote against/for...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:04:29 GMT

dingus writes:
It's about getting things done.  The Republicans have some elbow room to start
getting some positive things accomplished.  I'm hoping for the ending of
federal income tax, or at least the death tax.  Let's roll.

Right.  I'd be happy to see some of those things too, dingus.

If you think the war will pay for itself, or be a short easy to pay for war;
then you need to reduce your lithium intake.

Bush will raise the national debt paying off his war-supplies buddies while
lining his own pockets with off-shore kickbacks.

The unreported enormity of the national debt is a hot potato that keeps
getting passed from one president to another, all of them hoping to not be
the one owning the debt when the thing goes off.

Boom!

-- Hop-Frog

I'm sorry for 'throwing it out there' to begin with... well, no, not
actually.  I actually liked this thread up until the word 'dingus' appeared
(though to be said, the (sic) response was a jab as well--I think we all
agreed to leave the spelling and grammar police at the door 'cause there's
your straw man if I ever saw it...).

But y'all know my stance on attacking the issue and not the person spouting it.

From an outsider (who is much like America's kid brother to the north... but
that's a topic for another time)

Our (and by this I mean collective US and Canada and elsewhere) dependence
on oil 'n such is leading the US to rape part of the Alaskan wilderness for
what?  Not much oil--maybe 50-60 years and we're back in the same boat.
Dubya had an historic opportunity to get folks onside to other avenues of
energy, thus taking the noose out from around our collective necks.

And see, this is the sad part as well--my country's leader, as well as
Britain, and others, wait until the US takes the reigns and leads us to
where the US wants to go--we don't strike out on our own too much, but
again, another discussion for another time.

But Dubya didn't.  He trotted out the same old tired horse about the Saudies
and made no actual connection b/w Osama and Hussein, but he wants a war with
a country, not a person, so Saddam it is.  Well, I say, if you didn't need
their oil, you could virtually ignore that neck of the woods and let them
decide their own fate--meddling in the affairs of others sometimes causes
the others to lash back.  You think that 9/11 would have happened if the US
didn't play *any* part in geopolitical issues of that region thru history?
And don't tell me that it was for humanitarian 'protecting the people'
meddling--the US was there to protect its oil interests--bottom line.  No
oil interests--no need to be there.  To be said, gthis is reducing a very
complex problem to, imho, the biggest base unit.  But there it is.

The enshrinement of the 2nd (which we won't get into again at this time--for
the sake of this conversation, I concede the 2nd says exactly what the
proponents of the 2nd think it says) but the total disregard of the 1st.
WHile I don't have links at my fingertips, I have read, and seen on the news
since 9/11 that there are folks that are wary of speaking against Bush's
'war on terror' due to the possible ramifications thereof.  What does that
say about the sanctity of the entire piece of paper you supposedly uphold?
That it's more like a buffet line--"Oh we like what this is over here, but
we'll ignore that one over there 'cause it doesn't suit our needs at this
time"  Is much comaprison to the Bible thumpers who ignore the compassison
and love of Jesus in order to get their homophobic crazy Christian
"not-at-all-backed-up-by-the-Bible" morals forced on to others.

I know many many Americans (I live like 45 min from the border), and have
friends that live in that wonderful country to the south.  My friends, and
in that group I guess I can include some of you here in this discussion
group (for I have come to appreciate the wisdom and ability to express your
views eloquently over the few years I've been reading and posting here) are
not the same US that I read in the papers nad see on the news.  The
individual is not the country, nor is the country the individual.  That
said, what the individual does reflects on the country and vice versa.  I
mentioned this a while back--Think about the hypothetical--If I were to go
backpacking thru Europe and Asia with a Canada flag sewn on my knapsack, how
different would the reception I get from the folks around me if I changed
that flag to the stars and stripes?

It may not be earth-shatteringly *important*, but in a way, it is still
valid.  When I say 'gun toting yahoo' I didn't make that up.  It's how
*some* Americans are perceived.  Expressions like 'Outta my cold, dead
hands' does not hinder that perception.  Nay, it only *enforces* that idea
of Americans being gun toting yahoos.  The only people that you please when
you say 'outta my cold, dead hands' are fellow 'gun toting yahoos'--you're
preaching to the choir!  Convince me, the non gun owner or gun lover.

Convince me that Alaska needs to be raped and pillaged.

Convince me that we have to blow Iraq back to the stone age and that Osama
is the reason.

Convince me that SUV's, in all their gas guzzling glory, are important to
our economy.

Convince me that the consitution, in its entirety, is the foundation of your
country, not just the selected passages that suit your needs.

Anyway, once again I wrote too much and sometimes just drone on.  Eh,
whatrya gonna do?

Dave K.
-note:  Not one (1) quotation from or one (1) reference to *any* television
show ;)  Did you catch West Wing the last two weeks??  Wow!  Good stuff!
Oops...  :)