 Off-Topic / Debate / 18133
Re: A word to the international community... (Re: Vote against/for...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:35:59 GMT

his wildly nationalistic statements should not be construed as anything like
mainstream American thought...

In fairness to John, doesn't he have EVERY right to believe his views have
been co-signed by the american people?

  Well, he can assert that a majority of the estimated 39% of eligible voters
chose to vote Republican, and beyond that he's welcome to believe whatever else
he likes, of course.  But I think he'd come across as less of a stereotypically
boorish, overbearing, kneejerk nationalist "ugly American" if he'd just stop to
consider that even those folks who chose to vote Republican don't necessarily
share his view that the US is now and ever shall be the greatest nation on
Earth under God.  A good many voters, I suspect, have voted Republican for much
less aggressively imperialistic reasons.
  So naturally John is welcome to believe whatever he wants, and I will of
course defend that right with all my power (moreso, as we've seen previously,
than he would be willing to defend my rights).  But as sick as John thinks he
is of Americans having to apologize for everything, I am far more sick of being
lumped into the same steaming heap as the blindly pseudopatriotic xenophobes
who comprise the bulk of the international perception of the average US citizen.

     Dave!
(By the way, if your Tyco blocks are too heavy to pack, I'll be happy to help
with them...)  8^)