 Off-Topic / Debate / 18128
Re: A word to the international community... (Re: Vote against/for...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:11:33 GMT

his wildly nationalistic statements should not be construed as anything like
mainstream American thought...

In fairness to John, doesn't he have EVERY right to believe his views have
been co-signed by the american people?

Either by positive act or by apathy, the future has been written.

And yes, I do think it may be time to move to a country whose views are more
in keeping with my own.  The part that will suck the most is transporting
the books and lego.  Ugh!

-- Hop-Frog

I'll help you with the lego :)

It's the zealous nationalism which blinds people to fixing the issues.  I'm
a nationalist--I love being Canadian.

As such, I believe in a 'just war' scenario--that is, I would pick up a gun
and join the armed forces to protect my country from those that would
eliminate Canada.

That said, I'm not a zealoutous nationalist--I don't believe that my
country's better than others--not that I think it's worse off than others--I
know we have our flaws and I'm working within the system to bring those
flaws to light so that myself, as well as others, may presumably work on them.

To think that my country has an inherent 'right' to 'knock down' others
and/or force our rules of civilization and politics because we have the
power to do so is an act of terror--sheer unadulterated terror.  Justify it
all you want--'oh we were punched first so we have every right to fight
back'--whereas on the surface that is a true statement, only *if* you were,
indeed, punched first.

Is like any other 'act of terror' right now--who knows who threw the 'first
punch' in the Israel/Palestine affair?  And right now, there is absolutely
no way to actually find out--but the terror keeps on perpetuating itself
because each side has the 'right' to punch back.

Yeah, well, whatever.

Because we have the power to do something, does not give us the right to do
something.

Dave K.