 Off-Topic / Debate / 1811
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:58:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
[...]
Most animals don't have moral codes. Their faculties are not up to it. A
wolf about to tear the throat of a rabbit out is not making a moral
judgement, it is merely trying to live. So animals are amoral. That's
not good, not bad, that's just where they are on the evolutionary
ladder.

<maybe some animals do... I will not go down that road, though, it's a
false refutatory>

IMHO, it's difficult not to conclude that bonobo apes probably have the
mental faculties for moral codes.

So stipulated. I did use both "Most" and "maybe" in my post. Doesn't
dilute the argument...

No, you're right, it doesn't.  I apologize for sounding cross.  I didn't
mean my statement as something intended to refute your larger argument but
instead simply a tangent intended to express some amount of disbelief in
creationism.

While I can't be sure whether or not there is a god (whatever that means),
I'm pretty sure that I don't believe the Earth was created a few thousand
years ago, or that people have souls, or that there's any such thing as
heaven or hell, or that anyone died on the cross for our sins.  I'm pretty
sure that Man evolved from Ape and that the Earth was created a few billion
years ago from star dust.  So if there is any higher being in my mind, it's
someone (or something ;-) who devised our universe as a semester project for
a high school physics class or something like that.  Of course, then that
being also had to come from somewhere...  :-)  That was my first question
about God when I was 4:  "If God created us, then who created God?"

--Todd