 Off-Topic / Debate / 18103
Re: The Death of Paul Wellstone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:45:47 GMT

I curious as to the ramifications of his death.  Will the Democrats try and
elect another dead man?  Since Wellstone's wife died in the crash as well, you
can't have her serve as happened in the extremely bizarre election of the dead
senator Mel Carnahan of Missouri.

The Toricelli decision will embolden the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party to
put in whoever they think is most electable, no doubt.

Actually, Minnesota state law allows them to do this up to 4 days before the
election.  Problem is the absentee voters who are voting for a *Democratic*
senate seat are going to be disenfranchised because votes for Wellstone will
not legally go towards the new Democratic nominee.

Speculation here is that a blast from the past will be named-- Walter Mondale.

-John