 Off-Topic / Debate / 1808
Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:07:36 GMT

What I see is Americans demanding the right to drive everywhere at low cost,
and generally use tons of energy without wanting to pay for much in
the way of efficiency measures etc.  And then, because environmental
damage is global, the rest of the world has to pick up a lot of the bill for
the damage. Possibly that's what Richard meant when he talked about
us subsidising Americans.

Environment-friendly as it may seem, insane gasoline taxes to
subsidize inefficient public transport do not reduce pollution
per se.
Despite low gas prices, pollution here has been reduced quite
a bit since the introduction of emmissions controls in '68
and the catalytic converter in '74. Though, since environmental
damage *is* global, I'm sure the USA got its share of polluted
air from the - until recently *entirely* uncontrolled-emitting -
car fleets of Europe. (See "dislike through genuine ignorance"
in my other post.)

And despite the increased gas consumption caused by emission-control
devices, I'd say gas mileage on cars (I can't speak for SUVs that
are trucks by law) here is pretty good, too.
What's your average large family saloon (Granada 2.9, maybe?)
use?

-gbr