 Off-Topic / Debate / 17973
17972  |  17974
Subject:
Still a "Funny Girl"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:40:26 GMT

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry
into a patriotic fervour, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It
both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of
war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind
has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the
citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by
patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so.
How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."

  Scott, I think, has accepted that this is a bogus quote, if he ever even
believe it in the first place.  Sadly, some celebrities are less eager to
check their sources:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/10/02/streisand.shakespeare.reut/index.html

     Dave!