 Off-Topic / Debate / 17805
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:07:41 GMT

I guess I misunderstood.  But unfortunately, I still do.

That's too cryptic for me.  Guess I'll have to misunderstand you, too.

Let me try... I don't know about Chris, but I personally misunderstood this:

You weren't paying attention to earlier messages.  The law *as written*.  If
you want to move onto later claims, that's another story

I'm taking it to mean that you think we have to use the constitution's exact
words only and not any contemporaneous writings by the same authors which
expand and explain what the clauses mean.

Is that correct?

No - it would seem close and I understand you thinking that, but not really.
I merely wish to establish one thing before moving on to the next.  If Joe
Blow walking down the street suddenly spotted the 2nd Amendment, what would
be his interpretation?  There are no explanations appended within the law.

I am not debating the wisdom, pro or con, of relying on any later
explanations or interpretations.  I guess I'm objecting to claims that the
law says something it doesn't.  If the claim was "this is what the law
*really* was supposed to mean, and here's why" it would be a different point
(and one I might agree with).

I'm of the opinion that the 2nd amendment was meant to allow the citizens
unfettered access to firearms (as much as I think Joe Blow is a moron and
should have to pass a safety course).  No, you don't have to be a member of
a militia to have firearms - you need the firearms already in order to form
the militia successfully.  I am not relying on any ex-post facto
explanation, nor do I feel one is one necessary (unless you feel the need to
tinker with it, and then you need to understand it fully so that you don't
break it unintentionally).

If that's what you mean I'm not sure it's a tenable position. Even if we
ignore the supporting and explanatory writings specifically, we still have
to have some way of determining context. For example, in Dave K.s misguided
nonrebuttal of Richard's excellent set of cites, he uses dictionary
definitions of words to claim the 2nd says something different. But he's
using MODERN definitions of words like regulated and militia.

I don't agree with Dave K's interpretation, as you may discern from the above.

What did "regulated" mean in the late 1700's?  Drilled?  Practiced with
their weapons?  Possessing a formal heirarchy of command?  Obeying the
commands of government?

We know, from other writings of the time (not necessarily the supporting
ones) that the modern meanings are not the same as the meanings then. We
have to use the meanings of the time to interpret (and court opinions, when
they are not being revisionist, do just this research into contemporary
meanings of words) the writings. If we cannot use anything else we might as
well give up.

This is a legitimate need for interpretation.

Just define "war is peace" and "slavery is freedom" and be done with it!

Ignorance is strength.  All these are true, after their own self-serving
fashion.  :-)

BTW, you're wasting your breath arguing with Scott. Everyone already knows
the truth of the points you're making about his style and has for years.
Just ignore him.

Oh....I know that.  Scott has some points worth making, I just think he
loses sight of the forest through the trees.  I mean, why the heck is it our
responsibility to attack Iraq?  On Bush's say so?  Ahhhahahaha - that guy
was rejected by the people of the United States.  He couldn't even win in
the electoral college cleanly, needing partisan voting by the bagmen Daddy
Oilbucks appointed to the Supreme Court.  He has presented no compelling
evidence to either the UN or the American people.  I'm expecting claims that
Iraq to attacked our ships in the Gulf of Tonkin any moment now.  :-)

I think he would be a fool to proceed unilaterally.  Didn't he pay any
attention to Viet Nam?  Why make a martyr out of Saddam, of all people?

Bruce