 Off-Topic / Debate / 17614
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:25:30 GMT

it is
much as folks here have been saying--'you will have to take away my gun out
of my cold dead hands'  Pretty much an explicit threat and/or intimidation,

Yup.  A very valuable one.

Fighting whomever to hold on to a gun to the death and shooting politicians.
Well, there's the pinnacle of civilization.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but if not, then we agree.  The pinnacle
of civilization _is_ the understanding the the power (all of it...the ultimate
power of military projection as well as the power of governance) does, should,
and must allways rest in the hand of The People.

"The rules have changed. True power is held by the person who possesses the
largest bookshelf, not gun cabinet or wallet."

Like the UK?  The same UK where you're more likely to be the victim of a
violent crime than in the US?

Have you been watching Fox News again? ;)

The average American is seven times more likely to be murdered than their UK
counterpart and 60 times more likely to be shot. The murder rate in the US
in 1998 was 6.3 per 100,000 people compared with 1.4 per 100,000 in England
and Wales. The rate in London was 2.9 per 100,000 compared with 8.6 per
100,000 in New York and 49.15 per 100,000 in Washington DC. The US
Department of Justice shows the murder rate was 5.7 times higher in the US
than England and Wales and the rape rate was about three times higher in
'98. Firearms were used in 68% of murders in the US compared with 7% in
England and Wales, and in 41% of robberies in America against 5% in England
and Wales.

What is lower in the USA is assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft, all
of which we define as "violent crime".

Scott A