 Off-Topic / Debate / 17612
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:58:16 GMT

it is
much as folks here have been saying--'you will have to take away my gun out
of my cold dead hands'  Pretty much an explicit threat and/or intimidation,

Yup.  A very valuable one.

Fighting whomever to hold on to a gun to the death and shooting politicians.
Well, there's the pinnacle of civilization.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but if not, then we agree.  The pinnacle
of civilization _is_ the understanding the the power (all of it...the ultimate
power of military projection as well as the power of governance) does, should,
and must allways rest in the hand of The People.

So my little retort to that is that if you want a def'n of a 'goon', as in
someone who wants to intimidate, who wants to get his way against the good
of others (as goons do)

You mean the way an unfettered democracy can flounce about on the rights of the
minority?  So the goons in your scenario are those who support the majority
rule through financial and moral means without regard to what the right thing
is.  Right?

And I happen to think that having guns in circulation of anybody not in the
military or the police forces is *limiting* freedom--living in fear of
getting shot is *not* living in freedom, thank you very much.

Well, that's not the kind of freedom that we to the south seem to value, and
it's not important, because we don't actually "live in fear of getting shot."
At least I don't.  And no one I know seems to.  And to the best of my knowledge
there isn't anyone within a quarter mile of me who doesn't own guns (except
maybe the guy right across the street from me).

Furthermore,
there are a whole stack of countries in the world who have laws against
owning guns, and they are pretty much higher than the 'free' USofA on the
list of best places to live in the world.

Like the UK?  The same UK where you're more likely to be the victim of a
violent crime than in the US?

Which "list of best places to live" are you using?  I'd like to read their web
site for the criteria that they've used in their assessment.

And isn't it something that the
'most free nation on the planet' the United States has more people
incarcerated per capita than Russia under communism and Africa under
aparthied.

Yes.  That is quite something.  It's evidence that we should maybe be using our
force to make things that are currently wrong, right.

Do you read 'gun' anywhere?  Try to equate being free to owning guns,
especially in todays age when your wittle gun is going to do oh so much
against a tank and/or ICBM.  So what's next--we should all have the freedom
to own tanks and nukes?

Tanks at the very least.  I go back and forth on the nukes issue.  I'm not sure
what the right solution to weapons of mass destruction is.  And if my
government is using ICBMs on me (which they wouldn't since the IC part wouldn't
make any sense) then it doesn't matter what the laws are anyway.

30,000 ish gun deaths in the US last year.  I would hazard a guess that, per
capita, Canada had a few fewer than that.

Show me the numbers.

This is what I do know--social justice is a better reason for doing what's
right than carrying guns around, it's alot safer, and it's a heck of alot
'freeer' for each and every one of us can actually partake in social
justice--guns just cause fear.

No, guns cause safety.

Chris