 Off-Topic / Debate / 17565
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:29:55 GMT

I singularly hate the clossosal arrogance of those that believe God has
singled out any nation as most blessed or most (self-) righteous.  I don't
care who says it: England, Japan, America, France, Israel, Iran, etc.
Confusing arrogance with patriotism gives patriotism a bad name (there is
always the implication that if you have a problem with the "under God", you
must not be patriotic).

Sounds pretty bigotted. Why not just say they are wrong or misguided?

How many senators last year on 9-11 sang along with "God Bless America" who
were atheists?  A lot.  Why?  Because it was the patriotic thing (if not
politically wise) to do.

Under the circumstances, the national anthem would have been more
appropriate by far.

Disagree.  I'll bet you 99 out of 100 people would disagee with you.

Sorry, if 99 people out of 100 vote that the sun rises in the west, does
that mean it does? No.

If 99 people out of 100 vote to expropriate the property of all Tshirt
manufacturers does that mean it is morally correct to do so? No.

If this country has slid so far that you are correct in your bet, then I
fear for it... because in that case 99 people out of 100 would be wrong.

Note the distinction here, though:

Singing God Bless America while standing on the Capitol steps as an elected
official is merely a bad idea.

Saying the lord's prayer every morning at the opening session of Congress is
unconstitutional, not just merely a bad idea.

Christianity has been intimately involved with this nation since its
inception.

Indeed. One of the big problems with this nation since its inception has
been bigoted intolerant people who persecuted other people. Many of these
persecutors did so in the name of your god. Why do you think the KKK burns
crosses instead of big letter As? Certainly not because they all feel they
are atheists.

Were I you I would be ashamed of the many evil things done in this nation
(and others) in the name of christianity rather than proud.

We seem to disagree as to which way the wind is blowing.  The backlash is
against liberalism-- America is most definitely moving to the *right*.

Here I had hoped it was moving in the direction of Freedom, that is, neither
left nor right, for both sides of that false one dimensional spectrum
advocate repression of one sort or another, rather than in the direction of
repression.

But perhaps you are correct.

I never thought I'd see a worse attorney general than Murderer Reno. I was
wrong. Usurper Ashcroft makes her seem a piker. What's murdering a few
fringe christians compared to enslaving a whole nation?

++Lar