 Off-Topic / Debate / 17514
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 06:10:22 GMT

Churches cannot be on the same street as a governement building!  Heck,
who's kidding who, they can't be in the same area code for if they are,
they're not separate!!!

That's almost as silly as saying strip clubs can't be within 1000 feet of
each other or of other stores or businesses of any kind... oh wait, that's a
fairly common law in the US.

Who said this earlier in another debate--and it's something I still smile
when I think about it...

'If masturbation be allowed, then it be allowed in the marketplace..."

I was being very sarcastic about thw whole separation of church and state,
in which people get up in arms 'cause every once in a while some sort of
theological whatever is tenuously binded with some sort of government thing
and immediately it becomes a 'separation of church and state' issue.

A high school club that wants to talk God has the same rights as a high
school club wanting to, as someone posted somewhere else, play D & D.  THese
groups, as well as others, should be encouraged.  I was pretty much a geek
thru high school--and it was D & D and the computer lab that I spent my
extra-curric time.  People want to feel like they belong to something.

For myself, being Canadian, this separation thing is irrelevant.  However,
should I live in the states at any point in my life, I would hold with
highest regard the ideal of separation of Church and State--again, I don't
need a gov't based article and/or sponsorship of my religion for me to
believe in it.  The gov't should protect my freedom to do whatever I please,
as long as what I do, or what I say, does not infringe, impede, impovrish,
or otherwise adversely affect any other person.  If my fist never comes in
contact with your nose, then no harm, no foul.

There was an expression I heard somewhere--Republicans want to reduce the
size of gov't so that it can fit into people's bedrooms.  I say to those on
the right--stay out of my personal affairs--what I chose to do with my time
and in the privacy of my home is of no concern of yours!  But thats a story
for another time...

Dave K