 Off-Topic / Debate / 17507
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William R. Ward writes:
"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> writes:
  Hooray--we agree!  That's been my intended point all along, in both this
exchange and in the previous debate a month or so ago!  I absolutely,
totally, completely, and unequivocally support your right to religious
freedom and freedom of speech!  What I reject is the State's attempt to
mandate one religion (monotheism) when in fact the State has no right even
to offer an official opinion on the issue.

I have no problem with people believing in whatever religion they
want.  However, when the State, through the public school system,
offers *financial* support for an institution of religion, then that
crosses the line.  The Bible Club should be permitted to meet but
should not have access to student body money.  The Court was wrong
here, IMNSHO.

And some would call that 'reverse discrimination'

"Reverse Discrimination": A politically correct term for the right wing
meant to really say, "We done stole it fair and square, so no trying to
redress the crime."  ;-)

Actually, I don't see how "reverse discrimination" applies here whatever
spin you want to put on the phrase.  Discrimination, perhaps, but why is it
being bogged down with "reverse"?

Just because a group of students has a student run group and they want to
discuss their belief in God, and they can't get school support on par with
students who want to have a Camera club, Chess club or whatever club it may
be, is just as discriminatory.

If the school board says there can be school based clubs as long as the
clubs don't exclude anybody, and that's what they hold to, then the groups
that want to discuss God 'n such are of equal par to any other group.

I don't have a problem with the Bible Club meeting as long as they don't
have a problem with the Koran Klub meeting, the Buddhist Buddies meeting,
the Athiests Assemble meeting, or the D&D Club meeting - which is what I was
actually refering in my earlier note.  And, of course, D&D meetings have
been banned at many schools because certain people (i.e. a portion of those
likely to support such things as Bible Clubs and use phrases like "reverse
discrimination" and no, I'm not saying you) have claimed that it promotes
Satanism.  Either they'll have to admit that Satanism has nothing to do with
D&D or have to accept that those "Satanist" role-players have equal access
under the law.  I'd prefer they admit the former, but either way it spells
defeat for the narrow-minded, so I'm happy.

Bruce