 Off-Topic / Debate / 17291
Re: Long walk off a short plank?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:37:59 GMT

Congos are better talkers as well; perhaps the best.  Only Yellow Napes and
Double Yellowheads can compare.  I used to care for parrots, but never owned
one.  I think that they are among (if not the most) demanding of all pets.  To
be truly happy, they require almost constant attention-- in that sense they are
like people.  But if you are able to care for one in such a way, there isn't a
more entertaining, beautiful, and rewarding pet.  I have never been able to
devote so much time to a pet, and therefore I have limited myself to cats (and
at one time, snakes:-)

The trouble with birds are that you can fawn over them all day and then they
come to expect it (Cockatoos are the worst if you indulge them).  When I
take time off from work, I'm usually careful not to show the bird more
attention than usual.  The constant attention trap can be avoided.

Dunno if Congos are better talkers than Timnehs.  If they are, I doubt it is
anything more than minor.  Amazons (Yellow Napes and Double Yellowheads are
two varities, just to keep up the identification for those that don't know)
are extremely good talkers, like Greys, and can actually understand what
they are talking about (at least to some degree).  But they are very
difficult birds once they reach sexual maturity.  I see flocks of them all
the time in the Pasadena area because people have released them.  There was
a huge colony of Amazon's behind my mother's house in Orange County (they
loved the neighbor's massive tree).  In general, I wouldn't recommend any of
the larger birds, Greys, Amazons, Cockatoos, Macaws, to anyone unless that
person was experienced with birds already.

Bruce, thanks for the fun story of your little menagerie:-)

Just wondered if I'm out there at the edge somewhere.

Bruce