 Off-Topic / Debate / 17262
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 01:32:29 GMT

Thanks.  That's *exactly* my point--they *may* exist is even better for me
to accept than they *do* or *do not* exist.

I don't see where James stated anything like the above interpretation of his
statement.

Yes, you can believe in green fairies.  No, science cannot disprove the
existence of the green fairies (there is a reason for that, BTW).  These two
things do not mean that there are things that exist outside the scope of
scientific processes to understand them -- even if our methods of analysis
and understanding the phenomena is limited at this time.

If the phenomena is reproducible it can be studied and WILL be studied.
Theories will then be postulated to explain the phenomena based on the data
obtained from study.  Those theories will then be tested and retested -- and
even altered and replaced as needed.  Eventually we can arrive at something
like an adequate explanation of the phenomena.

Science is not god.  But Scientific processes and methods are FAR better
than anything that pretends to compete with them.

Do you understand this?

-- Hop-Frog