 Off-Topic / Debate / 17249
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:54:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

<snip>

I suspect that the idea Dave is trying to get across is that some people
promote science and scientific thought as the be-all and end-all of possible
knowledge.  These people are in their way as close-minded as the extremely
rigid religious types.  They elevate scientific thought and the scientific
method to a sort of god-hood by allowing it no possibility of fault or
exception.  I don't *think* anyone here is that sort of scientific zealot,
but sometimes people come across that way without intent; it's especially
hard to avoid that kind of impression when you're immersed in a heated debate.

We can certainly concieve of things that are not addressable by science; it
is not such a leap of logic to conceed that they may exist.  God is one
such; another is the hypothetical 'event which cannot be observed by any
means'.  Dave is railing against the belief: "if science cannot address it,
it cannot exist".

James

Thanks.  That's *exactly* my point--they *may* exist is even better for me
to accept than they *do* or *do not* exist.

Dave K.